Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Many things to say

I just have to warn everyone that this post sounds a little disjointed to me, so it is probably hard to follow and may make no sense at all. I just wanted to get it all down on the blog before another headache.

Mystery Stole: Cast On on Friday evening and Knit until row 30. Placing the first bead showed that the majority of the beads I bought are too small for my size 13/14 crochet hook and the bead shattered into my finger cutting me. Another bead shattered that evening. Saturday: Knit until Row 52. Looked hard at knitting and decided I had the wrong needle size - it was hard to tell the stockinette from the yarn overs and there was no real pattern appearing. Saturday evening: borrowed a size 3 circular from Auntie Em (in like 12 in) and knit a practice piece. Sunday: determined that I did need a size 3 and began journey for one. Sunday evening: cast on for the 3rd time and knit until row 26. Monday evening: Knit until Row 32 (had migraine earlier but was determined to make some progress)

Needle Journey: We started our journey at A Good Yarn in Brookline who thwarted us by switching to summer hours that weekend and suddenly were closed on Sundays. We all (Auntie Em, Lukie, Marie and I) regrouped at Auntie Em's and discussed plan of action. Only course of action: to drive to Cambridge and hunt down Woolcott and Co. for a needle. We load Lukie into the car (he is four) and explain about how we are going on a mission to Cambridge. This is then followed up with many questions expected to be asked by a four year old. We apparently had the parking fairy on our side since we found a FREE parking space in Harvard Sq. not that far a walk from the yarn store.

Now, I have never been to Woolcott and Company before and I have to say it was a pleasant surprise. They had a bunch of toys for Lukie which kept him more then entertained, a good selection of books and Addi Turbo Lace needles for which we were searching. Their staff didn't hover too much but was friendly and discussed patterns with Auntie Em. They had some lovely yarn which was very hard to resist. Auntie Em hadn't been to their store since they had moved and she was pleased with how it was set up.

Giulia's Socks: 3 and 1/2 inches. Slow going but the panic is setting in since she is leaving in a little more then a week. Can I finish them in time?