Thursday, February 22, 2007

Today's Knitting Advice of the Day is...

Don't roll over your yarn on your rolley chair. I did today at work. My chair has those silly caster wheels and the yarn got wrapped around it and then stuck in between one part of it. Next thing I knew the chair and I were sitting on the floor as I kindly detangled the yarn and gently removed it from the chair parts. My yarn is having a rough 24 hours. Last night after knitting on the DPNs while watching tv I put them in the bag and put that on the chair next to my dining room table for a minute. Less then a minute. In that time Zacky was on it. I thought he had just chewed on the long tail left from the cast on and cut off the wet and half chewed through piece. But no, when I opened up my work on the T this morning I saw he had also chewed through the working yarn. So I got to practice changing yarn this morning on the T with DPNs.... it required more brain power then I normally give out at that time in the morning. At least I got a good seat, so I was blockaded in and the guy next to me didn't seem bothered by my twitching around and flaring elbows as I tried to find a good DPN knitting rhythm. I think I got it finally... I find after learning something new you look pretty silly for a while until you get more comfortable and stop making mistakes....

I remember when I started knitting again this fall. I had the book and the needle and the yarn all out on the T. I read over and over the page about casting on and I tried over and over. Something was wrong. Nothing felt comfortable and the stitches weren't even making it onto the needle. The woman next to me politely asked if I was a knitting beginner. I nodded in shame and glanced back at the book. I then noticed I was reading the section for casting on for left handed knitters (I am right handed), I switched quickly back to my proper section and before I knew it, I was making significant progress on the scarf that shall not be mentioned. (I am allowed to mention it, since "the scarf that shall not be mentioned" is just it's name after all.)